Sunday, August 17, 2008

ModernGear Food: Fettucini Carbonara

I love to take a recipe that looks good and add my own twist to it - often this twist consists of our favourite Eastern European-influenced addition to all recipes - garlic and onions. I mean, does it get any better than that combo? I could have just gotten up from a six-course meal, but sauté some garlic and onions, and my tummy will be growling as soon as the heady aroma hits my nose.
Sonny and Cher, Samson and Delilah, onions and garlic - just some of the best pairings in history

I dressed up Martha's Spaghetti Carbonara in such a way - to yummy effect, used prosciutto instead of regular bacon (and I am surprised that Martha didn't do the same!) and just for the heck of it I made it with fettucini instead of spaghetti because...that's all we had in the house. I'm just being honest with ya!

By the way, I dare not add a caloric or nutrient breakdown here because it's not for the faint of heart. All I can say is get your exercise today, before cooking and eating this delicious dish. Your heart will thank you.

INGREDIENTS
Makes enough for two, with a bit more for seconds because it's just that yummy
fettucini for two (what's that, about two handfuls?)
3 oz. prosciutto, torn into medium-sized pieces
salt and pepper
2 eggs
1/4 of a large onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, chopped
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, more for serving
1/4-1/2 cup half-and-half
olive oil

DIRECTIONS
1. Go for a bike ride, and take along whoever it is you're sharing this dinner with. I mean it, get your asses moving! This recipe is NOT LIGHT. (This pic was taken before I made this for dinner, halfway through our 11-mile ride...)


2. Set a large pot of salted water with a dash of olive oil to boil for pasta.
3. Break apart your prosciutto (if you haven't already) over a large pan (Martha calls it a skillet...la de da) on medium heat. Prosciutto is pretty dry so add a little drizzle of olive oil to the pan first.
Stir occasionally, until crisp, and transfer to a bowl.
4. Add pasta when water boils, cook al dente according to package instructions.
5. Sauté onion and garlic over drizzle of olive oil.
6. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, parmesan and half-and-half. Set aside.
7. Drain pasta, leaving some water clinging to it. Work quickly now - add hot pasta to egg mixture. Add prosciutto, and onions and garlic, season with pepper, and toss to combine. The heat from the pasta will cook the eggs.
(I was working so fast there was no time for photos!)
8. Serve immediately, sprinkled with additional parmesan. Have salt available so folks can season as needed - the prosciutto is very salty so there might not be a need for additional salt.
9. Sit back on the couch, and put your hand in the front of your pants.

Bon Appétit!

No comments: