Wednesday, May 9, 2007

About Tamara

TAMARA KOMUNIECKI
(n
ée NOWAKOWSKY)

I've been a journalist since graduating with a Bachelor of Arts, major in Political Science, double minor in Philosophy and Criminology, in 1994, but I've been a storyteller my whole life. In 1994 the cameras just started rolling.

As a television reporter and host I’ve strapped on cross-country skis and attached myself to two Siberian Husky dogs, for a story about skijoring. I’ve entered into etiquette school with a posh restaurant’s maître d’ teaching me everything I thought I knew…but didn’t. And I’ve also covered murders, wars, Beanie Babies, fires and floods, as a live news reporter.

As a radio producer and host, most notably with the CKUA Radio travel/adventure program Travel Treasures, I've spent time with animals of all kinds — whales, bears, sled dogs, and race car drivers. I’ve ice climbed, flown a glider, piloted an AWACS jet, toured a chocolate factory and covered baby perfume, pet photographers and other incredible people and places.

For the Style and Travel sections of newspapers and magazines, I’ve toured Rocky Mountain hot springs, learned how to surf, and tested and written about anti-cellulite running shoes, cleavage-enhancing creams, room perfumes, and Hooter Hiders, and had my Style Statement done.

I have had an incredible career outside of the media as well - I’ve worked as a figure model, a clown at the zoo, a 911 operator and a Production Assistant for U2.

My personal motto is “Only boring people get bored”, and as a result I live life trying to learn and experience as much as I possibly can. I have a passion for storytelling, a respect for designers and entrepreneurs, and a love of all things style, design, architecture, beauty and health related.

You can check out my always-growing online portfolio at TamaraMedia.com.

ModernGear TV is my outlet to share my discoveries with a growing audience, on the web and in video.

MEDIA CAREER HIGHLIGHTS

Television:

Discovery Channel USA

Life Channel Canada

A-Channel Calgary

Access, The Education Station

City TV Vancouver

CBC TV


Radio:

CBC Radio

CKUA Radio – Travel Treasures show


Print:

Globe and Mail

National Post

Better Homes and Gardens

24 Hours

Surf Life for Women

Western Living


WEB (PAST WORK):

Canadian correspondent for New York-based style and shopping blog/e-newsletter shefinds.com

West Coast correspondent for Canadian style and shopping blog/e-newsletters - sweetspot.ca, globeandmail.com Style Counsel



PHOTO ALBUM
Pictures taken while on assignment

Bill Rancic, Spas For Men, Globe and Mail Style section

Learning to surf - CKUA Radio Travel Treasures and Globe and Mail Travel section



Jasper, Alberta for a music festival, CKUA Radio, Travel Treasures

Ice climbing for CKUA Radio, Travel Treasures


Learning to fly a glider, CKUA Radio Travel Treasures





Helicopter up to Base Camp at Mt. Columbia
International Year of Mountains story for CKUA Radio Travel Treasures


No comments: