Thursday, June 12, 2008

ModernGear Food: Spice it Up

I frequent the local Whole Foods, uh, frequently. Like, probably 4-5 times a week. For some reason, totally unplanned actually, my husband and I have started eating a lot healthier in the last few months. So, I pop in and get fresh veggies to steam for dinner and several times a week, for a fresh cut of fish.

I ask the usual questions we're supposed to ask now...is it wild or farmed? Is it a large fish (because of mercury content in large fish)? And then I always end by asking how to prepare it. I mean, these are the guys with their hands on fish all day long. They know fish.

So I didn't hesitate yesterday when one of the fish counter guys suggested Baron's Savoury Secrets San Francisco Bay Seasoning, aka Secret #22. He said I should drizzle olive oil on top, sprinkle garlic salt and then this spice mix. I decided to mince the garlic (did you know that you get more of the healthy compounds of garlic if you smash it, then chop it, then smash it again and let it sit for 30 minutes before cooking? This month's Prevention says so...), put it on top of the fish and then the spice, and let it marinate for a little while.
And let me tell you, if you looked up the (non)word "DELISH" in the dictionary...there'd be a picture of the fish I prepared and my hubby BBQed. Yuh-uum.

Secret #22 doesn't actually seem so secret - the ingredients are right on the shaker: celery salt (sea salt, celery seed), spice (mustard, red & black pepper, bay, cloves, allspice, ginger, mace, cardamom and cinnamon) and paprika. All mixed up in there together they pack a flavorful punch and I think the suggestion on the shaker to enjoy on everything from shrimp and crabs to chicken, beef, vegetables, french fries and buttered corn is something I am going to follow!

I love that their ingredients are all natural, non-irradiated and contain no preservatives.

You can choose from many different blends at savourysecrets.com, and they have the one I love - San Francisco Bay Seasoning, numbered as #62 there.

You can also check at your local store. Ask your fish counter guy...he'll know.

No comments: