Monday, June 29, 2009

ModernGear Food: Baked Yam and Sweet Potato "Fries"

I am a BIG FAN of yams and sweet potatoes. Packed with nutrients and flavour, they're just a nice change from plain potatoes, and I love to eat anything with bright colours - makes me feel like I am doing something healthy.

Before we get to the recipe though, there's a question I must ask - what the heck is the difference between a yam and a sweet potato, anyway? Luckily the good folks at the Library of Congress wondered as well, and they solve the mystery for us, here.

I love yam fries and decided some time ago to try and make both yam and sweet potato fries to see if one was better than the other. And I can report - no! They're both delicious, and they go well together.

This recipe is based on one found at Yamfries.com, with a slight variation. Now, let's head into the kitchen!

BAKED YAM AND SWEET POTATO "FRIES"

INGREDIENTS
2 large unpeeled sweet potatoes
olive oil
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon pepper

DIRECTIONS

1. Scrub potatoes.
And I suggest you get a great potato potato scrubber to make the task really fun - had you fooled, didn't I?!

2. Cut each into thin strips (4 x 1/4 x 1/4 inch) and plunk into pan.

3. Drizzle generously with olive oil.

4. Sprinkle spices on top.

5. Bake at 425F for 25 minutes or until browned, turning potatoes after 15 minutes. I always find mine need more time, because I like them nice and crispy.

6. Soyve.
I had brought home crab cakes and salmon cakes from Whole Foods, so I also decided to make a dipping sauce for the fish as well as the fries. Is this maybe a healthier fish and chips? Suppose so. For the sauce, I just throw a bunch of things together and it comes out different every time. This one had:
mayo, plain yogurt, buttermilk ranch salad dressing, mustard, dried dill, curry, San Francisco Bay seasoning, poultry seasoning. And it was YUM!

Bon appetit!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

That looks so tasty , We will have to try it on the weekend.Thank you.

ModernGear TV said...

Thanks, Michelle! I bet you'll love them...hope so, anyway!

Happy Canada Day!