Monday, March 2, 2009

ModernGear Food: Making my own recipes with the iPhone: Coconut Maggi Chicken and Green stuff

What I made for dinner last night was the perfect way to end a long, action-packed and wine-soaked weekend. No potatoes or rice for this one, but you could add anything as a carb accompaniment if you simply must have them.

I decided to shoot the whole kit and caboodle on my sparkly new iPhone. I am not sure how the quality is but the versatility is very attractive - easy to point, shoot, e-mail and pocket.

I will make three things for your dining pleasure, only one of which is from an actual recipe - the others I am just kind of throwing together and seeing what works, which is really my favourite way of cooking and something I am more confident with every time I cook.



GINGER COCONUT SOY CHICKEN BAKE
INGREDIENTS

chicken - you could use any part, really - I've done this with breasts, legs and this time with boneless thighs - the dark meat is really so delicious. How much? As much as you want to eat, and adjust the recipe accordingly. Last night I made five thighs.
coconut oil
Worcestershire sauce
fish sauce
soy sauce or Maggi
powdered ginger
pepper
DIRECTIONS

1. Start with some great Coconut Oil - scared about tropical oils? Read about the health benefits of coconut oil here and here and even here.

Put about 2-3 tsp of it (I used 4 and had a lot left over), in a bowl. Add everything else:
3 shakes Worcestershire
4 drips fish sauce
4 tbsp soy sauce or Maggi...and just who is this Maggi? The Polish equivalent of soy sauce. It's a magical cure-all for bland dishes and a staple in any Polish household.

1 tsp dried ginger (I think I could have used a little more. If you have fresh ginger around the house, rock on! Finely chop 1-2 tsp and add it in.)
couple shakes pepper
no salt - there's loads in the soy sauce

Mix it all up. But know that it's not going to want to mix. Do your best.
2. Glob the coconut oil on top of the chicken. It doesn't look very yummy, but it will be eventually. Pour the sauce part over top.

And yes, it did occur to me to counsel you to smear the coconut oil on top of the chicken and then just make a mixture of the various sauces, but then that would just make altogether too much sense.
3. Bake at 350 for about 1 hour. I checked at 20 minutes, and turned the thighs over, drizzling spoons of the liquid in the bottom of the dish over top. Testing then showed some pinkness inside, but 20 more minutes did it. This is how they looked when they were done:


You can actually rest for those first 40 minutes of baking and then start the veggies.

PARMESAN ASPARAGUS and PAN-STEAMED BROCOLLINI

INGREDIENTS
Asparagus - I ought a nice bunch and made half of them in this recipe for breakfast, with scrambled eggs over top, then made the second half for dinner.
olive oil
salt
pepper
grated parmesan

One bunch brocollini

DIRECTIONS
1. Snap ends off of asparagus.
You know, I used to cut the ends off but then I saw this recipe on Barefoot Contessa, and she said that if you snap, it automatically breaks at the point where the woodiness ends. I tried, and I am converted! It's also really a pleasing thing to do. Snap, snap, snap!
2. Place asparagus in baking dish, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Place in the 350 degree oven and bake for 4-5 minutes.
3. After those 4-5 minutes, pull pan out and sprinkle top of asparagus with parm.
And back in the oven she goes, for another 4-5 minutes. Keep your eye on it - you want nicely melted parm.

4. Now you can start your brocolinni. (What is brocolinni? A cross between broccoli and kai-lan, Chinese broccoli. Read about it here.) Chop off the ends of the stems, rinse with water. Stick in pan with a little olive oil drizzled on the bottom, sprinkle with a bit of sea salt and pepper. Cover and cook on medium to med-high.
After about four minutes, what is in the oven is ready to come out and you can shut off the steaming brocolinni and plate this baby.


Yum. Healthy, flavourful, and all three go together very very nicely. My husband told me I am on a real roll these days with amazing cooking. Melikes compliments like that!

Bon Appétit!

No comments: