Monday, November 24, 2008

ModernGear Food: Pumpkin Muffins

Aaah, pumpkin...another flavour of fall. Full of goodness like beta carotene and Vitamin A, this wonderful bright orange gourd is good for more than carving at Halloween.

I found this week's recipe at a great baking blog called Muffin Top. These pumpkin muffins are incredibly delicious...if you like pumpkin. I really didn't like pumpkin pie until I was about 14 or so. Not that I had tried it before then - I steadfastly refused to let a forkful enter my mouth. Imagine my regret when I finally tasted my first bit of that pumpkiny goodness and realized that I'd missed out for so long!

My Grandma's pumpkin pie is THE BEST, hands down. These muffins are a bit easier to make, and are pretty darn delicious, if not as good as Grandma's pumpkin pie.

PUMPKIN MUFFINS
From Gourmet November 2006
Adapted from the American Club
Makes 1 dozen

INGREDIENTS:

1.5 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1 tsp pumpkin-pie spice (a combo of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, and allspice)
1.25 cups plus 1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon

DIRECTIONS:

1. Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven toe 350F. Put liners in muffin cups. (Or put your wonderful silicone muffin cups on a baking tray.

2. Whisk together flour and baking powder in a small bowl.

3. Whisk together pumpkin, oil, eggs, pumpkin-pie spice, 1.25 cups sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl until smooth.

4. Whisk in flour mixture until just combined.

5. Stir together cinnamon and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar in another bowl.

6. Divide batter among muffin cups - I used both silicone muffin cups and a mini muffin pan (each should be about 3/4 full), then sprinkle tops with cinnamon-sugar mixture (don't forget - they're much better with it! I forgot on my second batch).

7. Bake until puffed and golden brown and a wooden pick or skewer inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.

8. Cool in pan on a rack 5 minutes, then transfer muffins from pan to rack and cool to warm or room temperature.

Bon Appétit!

PS Contrary to a lot of other baking and cooking, it is infinitely better to use your main ingredient (pumpkin) canned rather than fresh...

No comments: